Wednesday 6 November 2013

Inspired by .... Sherri Cartwright {Doodlebug}

I think this was one of my favorite Doodlebug assignments to date: "Search through the Doodlebug Pinterest pages for ideas. Create something that is inspired by a PIN you found on the DB boards."

This was so much fun! There were so many fabulous Doodlebug projects to look at. I took me forever to even start looking for one to use for this assignment. I just kept looking at all the fantastic projects. 

In the end I decided to narrow down my search to projects of only one person. I chose a design team member who has a completely different scrap style than I have: Sherri Cartwright. I have always loved the backgrounds of her layouts and wished I could do that too (but was afraid to try). 

So that's what I did and this is the end result: An "I am thankful for family and friends" layout with a mixed media background.


and some close-ups:



The background was created using a TCW template (chicken wire it's called) and lots of gesso. When the paper was dry again, I sprayed on three different mists and used a tissue to whipe off the excess. As I had some problems getting my paper "straight" again I trimmed half an inch of all sides of my cardstock and machine stitched it to a patterned paper. This way my layout is not so "wavy" any more. 

And now you probably want to know which PIN I was inspired by? Here it is:

Except for the painted background, I also incorporated the twine and the little bits and pieces that are "randomly" spread over the page in my layout. I really like how this turned out and will definitely try this technique again. Hope you like it too! 

Thanks for visiting my blog today!
Monique

No comments:

Post a Comment